So on my birthday I thought I would share – as a 20 year old – twenty important, more practical lessons I’ve learned.
1) Desire a thousand times more to be a good person, than to seem so.
2) You are enough.
3) Just because he tries to win your heart doesn’t mean he values you.
4) The best way to take your mind off of your own problems is to invest youself into the service of others.
5) Life’s too short not to tell people how much you appreciate them.
6) Love doesn’t always need to be expressed in grand, sweeping gestures – it’s the little things – a kind word, a small act of service, a hug – that people remember for the rest of their lives.
7) Feelings are like visitors – sometimes you just have to let them come and go.
8) It’s ok to not have it all together.
9) Don’t step out of pictures. You’ll wish you were in them someday.
10) Don’t feel pressured by other people to start dating or begin a relationship by a certain age.
11) If you’re not content now, you won’t be content ‘then’, whenever ‘then’ comes.
12) Something will grow out of all you are going through – and it will be you.
13) Choose people over your phone. iPhones don’t suddenly pass away in car accidents. Social media doesn’t have a limited number of days before their soul passes on. People do.
14) Don’t let a hard lesson make you bitter.
15) Strive for wholeness rather than happiness.
16) “If you believe in a God who controls the big things, you have to believe in a God who controls the little things.” Elizabeth Elliot
17) Don’t change your values just because people ridicule you for them.
18) Be kind. Even on your hardest days.
19) Love on people who are rude to you, even if you feel like they don’t deserve it. However, there are times when it is ok to walk away and cut ties for your own wellbeing. Don’t feel guilty for it.
20) Be the kind of person who can make the best out of a Tuesday. Stop waiting for Friday, for summer, for next year. Stop waiting until you’re happier, or for someone to fall in love with you, to be the person you want to be. Be that person.